At the Nebraska Department of Roads and Safe Routes Nebraska, we’re committed to helping build safe routes to school, so kids can walk and bike more . . . getting the exercise they need for happy, healthy lives. Here’s how we do it:
- Funding projects to make communities more walker/biker-friendly
- Educating teachers, students, parents, and communities on safe walking and biking
- Encouraging kids to walk or bike to and from school—after all, it’s fun!
By creating an environment that allows kids to walk and bike to school safely, we’re creating healthier kids.
Childhood obesity has become a nationwide epidemic. One of the most effective ways to counteract this dangerous trend is to get kids moving on a regular basis. By walking and biking to school, kids are doing aerobic activity nearly every day . . . and that means more alert minds in class, more energy throughout the day, and more fitness habits to carry into adulthood.
Other benefits to walking/biking-friendly communities include:
- Decreased traffic around schools
- Lower air and noise pollution
- Less gasoline consumption